From the App Store: “If only the theory class I dropped out of was as easy and engaging! This is definitely the best way to learn theory. Waay to go!” – Rob Davis (guitarist)
“This is a really helpful app. I have been an amateur musician for many years and your circle of fifths explanation is the best I’ve ever heard. Thanks for putting this app together and sharing it with the world!”
– Tony Smith (amateur musician)
“Waay was designed with the musician and songwriter in mind, and I find it easy to use. The video lessons are clear, and the interactive exercises are great for practising the different concepts. Whether you are a beginner or someone who wants to brush up on their music theory skills, I would recommend Waay!”
– Lisa Chan (pianist, singer, and music instructor)
“I found using Waay to be an enjoyable and efficient way to learn about music theory. It’s awesome!”
– Matt H., (guitarist and bassist)
Don’t just learn music theory to pass some exam—what a waste! Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest creative tools you can have in your arsenal. Waay’s mission is to teach music theory for songwriting. If you play an instrument and want to level-up your songwriting with music theory, Waay is the app for you.
Waay teaches applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use. Want to know what notes sound good together? Waay covers that in the first course called “Melodies.” Want to know which chords fit well together, and how to build any major, minor, or diminished chord? That’s what the second course, “Chords,” is all about.
Using a combination of bite-size video lessons and interactive exercises, Waay takes you from the basics of notes, steps, and keys all the way through chords, chord progressions, and more. The first course comes completely free with the app, including 8 video lessons and 9 interactive exercises, and future courses are always coming.
Here’s what you get with Waay:
• Music theory tailored for songwriters
• Video lessons with many musical examples
• Interactive exercises on keys, intervals, scales, and more
• Track your progress with built-in tracking tools
• Keep learning! The first course is completely free with the app—that’s 8 video lessons and 9 interactive exercises—and more courses are always available.
And here’s what you’ll learn:
Course 1: “Melodies” (free with app)
• 8 video lessons and 9 interactive exercises
• Notes and steps: What are the 12 notes in music and how do we talk about them?
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build your own major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: Learn how you can use theory to write better music
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
• Melodies: How to apply music theory knowledge to writing melodies
Course 2: “Chords” (in-app purchase)
• 8 video lessons and 11 interactive exercises
• Chord foundations: Learn about thirds and fifths—the building blocks of chords
• Building chords: Build any major, minor, or diminished chord with just two intervals
• Songwriting: Hear how a song can be built from a melody by adding just the right chords
• Magic formula: What chords sound together? You’ll learn that here
• Chords in major and minor keys: How do you find that perfect progression for your songs?
• Relative major: How are major and minor scales related? And why should we care?
• Fast minor scales: Learn how to build minor scales fast
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We’re always excited to hear from you.