From the App Store: Photophore is a unique instrument that uses flocks of up to 100 sound generators to create rich, organic synthesizer sounds. By controlling the behavior of the flocks you can make Photophore sound like a choir of synthesizers or, at more extreme settings, a swarm of angry insects.
Unlike other digital synthesizers, Photophore creates warmth and character in a completely new way. Instead of modeling analog circuits, it models animal behavior. Photophore’s sound engine is made up of flocks of oscillators that move through a virtual three-dimensional environment. Their motion is controlled by a special behavioral algorithm and physics simulation that keeps the oscillators in tune with each other, but allows for a certain amount of natural drifting and detuning. This creates rich timbres that are perfect for crafting massive bass sounds, complex pads and searing leads.
You can interact with the oscillator flocks by controlling their behavior – how much they try to flock together, how much they avoid each other, their speed, and how much turbulence is in their environment. Oscillators will flee from your touch, so you can create extreme pitch modulation and more chaotic effects by simply swiping across the screen.
• Unique flock synthesis engine
• Up to 100 oscillators per patch
• Monophonic or polyphonic operation (up to 6 voices)
• 6 oscillator waveforms (saw, square, pulse and more)
• Low pass/High pass filter with resonance
• Dedicated amplitude and filter envelopes
• Stereo echo effect
• Use any iPad-compatible MIDI keyboard to play notes and perform pitch bends
• AudioBus and Inter-App Audio support for streaming audio to other apps
• Control Photophore from other apps via CoreMIDI
• iOS7 or later required